Kingstonian punished for slow start as they lose against Lewes

By Joe Acklam

8th Dec 2022 | Football

Spencer Knight is still searching for his first league win in charge of Kingstonian. Photo: James Boyes.
Spencer Knight is still searching for his first league win in charge of Kingstonian. Photo: James Boyes.

A slow start costs Kingstonian as they fell to a 3-1 loss against Lewes at home in the Isthmian League Premier Division. 

Goals from Bradley Pritchard and Tom Champion within half an hour punished Kingstonian for not hitting the ground running on a cold night at Imperial Fields. 

Jacob Bancroft hit his first goal in red and white to halve the deficit and give the K's hope of taking something from the last ten minutes, but a stoppage time goal from Tyrique Hyde rubber stamped the defeat. 

Spencer Knight's search for a first league win since taking charge of Kingstonian goes on as Kingstonian languish in 17th place in the table. 

It took just eight minutes for Lewes to take the lead as Razz Coleman De-Graft performed a dazzling piece of skill to ghost past two defenders, he then cut the ball across goal to give Pritchard the simplest of tasks to tap into the gaping net. 

The Rooks early dominance continued as more skill from De-Graft led to Joe Taylor taking a fierce shot from the angle, which Rob Tolfrey did well to hold onto. 

Inside half an hour it was two as Jamie Mascoll whipped a corner onto the head of the unmarked Champion and he powerfully guided the ball beyond Tolfrey and into the net. 

Lewes could have had a third before the break when another Mascoll set piece, this time a free-kick, deflected off Alfie Young at the back post, but fortunately for the K's it bounced straight at Tolfrey. 

After a presumably stern half-time team talk from Knight, Kingstonian had renewed vim and vigour after the break and could have found the back of the net when Kwesi Ntim did well to keep the ball in play and set up O'Shane Stewart, but he couldn't keep his shot down. 

A quick counter attack saw Bancroft darting beyond the disorganised Rooks defence and as he was steadying himself to shoot, Will Salmon just got back and managed to prevent the former-Swindon man getting his shot off. 

Then after 77 minutes Kingstonian were on the score sheet after a dangerous free-kick was headed away by Lewes, but only to the edge of the area where Bancroft met it with a sweet half volley into the top corner. 

The K's had the chance to level the scores almost straight after as Dwight Pascal rose at the far post to head home a cross, but Johnville Renee did well to muscle him away from the ball. 

Then in stoppage time Lewes wrapped up the three points as Hyde and Deon Moore came off the bench and on the counter attack the latter ran in down the right and cut the ball back to Hyde to finish superbly, giving Tolfrey no chance. 


Related Articles

Kingstonian are yet to win at Imperial Fields in the league under Spencer Knight. Photo: Sepp from Pixabay.

Football this weekend: Kingstonian hope for first home win under Spencer Knight

Kingstonian were handsomely beaten by Billericay at the New Lodge. Photo: Navigationweb.

Kingstonian were thrashed by a rampant Billericay Town

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Kingston Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.